Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crushed Egg Shell Art




I remember finding this book last year and just loved sharing it with the children I taught, and now with my own boys. For me, the real appeal of a Jan Brett book is her detailed illustrations. She draws the bunnies realistically, adding warm smiles on their faces. I always enjoy Jan Brett's books, especially her holiday stories. This story is perfect for little one's between 3-6 as it sends a good message - kindness. I love that she puts extra information in the small side pictures or in the scenes at the top of the pages, giving children a chance to see some action going on in the background or giving a preview of what's to come next. It's always fun to see how and where she has inserted her favourite animal (the hedgehog) into each of her books. The brilliant colours make her illustrations almost jump off the page - a nice contrast to her usual gentle story lines. I fell in love with this sweet bunny the first time I read through the book, as did my boys, and I'm sure you will too!








What you need:


12 coloured eggs
PVA glue
card stock
pencil

  • Colour dye a dozen eggs, even leaving a few white.


  • Let the eggs dry and then peel the shell. Make sure the shell is dry before you put it all into a zip lock bag and crush.


  • Draw an image on a piece of card using PVA Glue.


  • Sprinkle the crushed egg shell on the glue to create an egg-tastic picture.






















1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness i've never seen this done and I love it. Thanks for sharing me and my guy are definitely going to do some crushed egg art, maybe a future play group project.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete